Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Giving it Away

So, WAY back in April I was taking a course at the college. (Truth be told, I'm actually still taking it, I'm just on a baby hiatus. Sadly, I'm only able to fit in one course a semester, but you do what you have to!) I was taking a basic sewing class. Lets just say it was not super challenging. At all. But its a requirement that you can't test out of. The "big project" for the class is to sew a skirt. I know, tough right! Please don't think that I'm making fun of any non sewers, but for me, a skirt is REALLY basic!) It is a little more difficult that just buying a pattern and sewing it. We had to design the skirt, draft (draw) the pattern and sew the skirt. Most people in the class were doing relatively simple skirts. I mean, it was the first time most of them had touched a sewing machine, so that makes sense. I, however, decided I didn't want to do simple. Simple was too, well, simple! This was not my first rodeo! So, I came up with an idea to do some fabric oragami. The execution of the skirt (cutting and sewing) was easy enough. The problem was in pattern drafting! I stumped my profs a few times, but we got it figured out eventually and I love the finished product. What do you think?


Like I said, I LOVE how it turned out, but there is a downside (for me anyway!) Because I had to make this for a class, it had to be a standard size ten. While I am working at becoming a size 10, I've got a LONG way to go. With closet space being at a major premium at our house, I can't justify having this beauty hanging in my closet any longer! So, I'm giving it away! Even if you're like me and not a size 10, think of how much you would be loved if you gave this as a gift! Here's how to enter:

1. Leave a comment saying what you like best about the skirt or photos (By the way, a MAJOR thanks to Camille for modelling!)

2. Put a post with a link on your blog. Leave your blog address in your comment here so I can check it out!

You have until February 15, so why are you still reading! Get busy and comment!

25 comments:

Just Rhonda said...

ahhhh size 10 is MY size!!!!! oooh I'd love to win it!!! I'll post about it tomorrow!! It's SUPER cute!!!!

Kristal McCoy said...

Love the skirt!!!! It turned out really good!! Good job Tisha!!

whitney said...

You are amazing! As if you just made that up! Such a cool idea! Oh I wish I could make the things I think up in my head actually turn out like you did.

KellyLady said...

I was just thinking about your skirt the other day wondering how it turned out! And it turned out BEUTIIOUS!!!

LindsayB said...

that is so dang cute. i am supposed to be sewing dereks costume for savior of the world (that stake play)it is supposed to be done, it's not even close, i'm horrible. i am the non sewer you mentioned who would fail the class. i will babysit both your children for all the hours it takes if you need a sewing project due in a day or 2. hehe, but seriously, kill me now.

linda rae said...

Tisha, that skirt is absolutely beautiful! You have a real gift for color and design. Not to mention sewing.

Wow. And I must say that your model is rather striking as well. :)

DeAnna said...

Wow, if I didn't know you made it I would've thought it came from a store. You really do have a talent for design/sewing.

kelli said...

Just my size! I love anything toile-ish and the yellow is so happy! Maybe seeing it in person will give me some inspiration to start figuring out how to work my sewing machine too!

Bethy said...

I love the color contrast, it is truly a beautiful skirt.

julz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
julz said...

The skirt is super cute. I love the folds of yellow fabric it looks so intricate. Looks like a lot of work but turned out darling. Check out my post at addingtonjulz.blogspot.com

Jacque said...

i am in LOVE with this skirt! the combination of the black and white with the yellow is darling! plus the pleating detail of the yellow fabric is amazing. i wish i could sew as amazingly as you. i don't know if a size 10 would fit me... what are the measurements?

kjtutton.blogspot.com

RPH said...

What a great skirt. Camille totally rocks it too! You have a good eye for detail and composition.

raygon0326atyahoodotcom

Amanda said...

Hey, Amanda here...friend of Camille's. This skirt is just gorgeous! I love every detail of it. What makes it even better is that Camille is my height and about the same size, so I know exactly what it would look like! You really did a great job and I wish you all the best in your next sewing project!

Geevz said...

It's gorgeous! I love the details. And how the heck did you come up with a pattern for it?

If I win, I will e-mail you every time I get a compliment on it, which will inevitably be every time I where it. Promise.

PS Camille sent me.

Geevz said...

Oops. I meant 'wear' and didn't put a link.

Not trying to get a double entry, promise. Delete the other one to make it fair. Or this one.


http://hazardousundertakings dot blogspot dot com/2010/02/i-wanna-win-pretty-skirt dot html

Anonymous said...

i love how its elegant and cute but spunky at the same time with the yellow!!! So darn cute!!! i would love to be able to give this as a gift to my sister! She would go crazy over it!!!! Thanks for this opportunity! :) thebranches08.blogspot.com

Jackijo said...

That is the most creative skirt I have ever seen! It is one of a kind. I have been sewing for a bazillion years (well approximately 40) and I could never come up with something like that. But I don't want the skirt. Give it to some deserving non-sewer. What I do want is your pattern so I can make it for my daughter-in-law who adores it. If the pattern is for sale, please let me know how I can buy it. If the pattern is a secret then I do want the skirt. And I am a size 10.

Five to Nine said...

I am visiting from Camille's blog, and I'm totally impressed by your mad sewing skills! How inspiring. Coincidentally, I am the same size as Camille, so this would be lovely if I won it. Here's to hoping I win!!!

Five to Nine said...

I forgot the link to my blog. Sorry. That's because I don't have a blog. I'm paranoid about my identity on the Internet. If I won, though, Camille would showcase me on her blog. Does that work?

Marilyn said...

Love the skirt! I can't believe you designed it and sewed it yourself. How long did it take to sew? My website and blog is VERY new but I posted a link so please pick me! I need something new to wear to church!

www.simplymemzelle.com

Marilyn said...

Oh, and I'm a friend of Camille's.

Arizona Girl said...

Really cute skirt, I love all the detail. I too wish I was a size ten. Also the colors are fabulous, did you get to pick them yourself?

julz said...

WHO WON?????

Tisha said...

Rhonda was the big winner! Thanks to everyone for all the comments. I did a little post announcing it and answering a few questions that were answered, so check it out! Also, I had so much fun doing this that I'm going to do it again soon so keep checking back!