Monday, March 3, 2008

Catharsis

I have a confession to make. I hate Southern Alberta. I'm not kidding. I hate the wheat fields, the brown, the wind, the cold, the cows, the lack of culture, the lack of people, the lack of trees, tall buildings, anyway, you get the idea. This lack of love for my home leads me to have some pretty severe winter grumpies. I get moody and snap at those around me. (If you are one of those people I have snapped at lately, I apologize) I can't breathe properly and I have constant headaches because of it. I get very lathargic, have zero motivation and just want to stay in bed until its warm. So why, you ask, don't I move? Its simple. The people around me. I don't make friends very easily. I am quite shy and frequently mistaken for being snotty because of it. Also, I'm constantly worried about offending others. I'm just not comfortable around new people, so its rare that I make friends. The friends that I do have here are so great. I can't imagine leaaving them. And my family is here. If you know my family well, you know we get together all the time. And its not just that I'd miss the get together's, but its really great to have TJ be so close to everyone. Honestly, if it was just me, I'd be somewhere far far away. Probably the theater district in New York or in sunny Florida or in back in Utah.

Ok, so you are probably sitting there thinking why is she rambling on about this. What is the point behind this complaining? Its because after this winter down time, comes the spring catharsis. A catharsis is a purging of emotions. In every play, the hero has a cathartic moment, a moment when his outlook on his life changes and he realizes he can go on from there. This is what happens to me every spring. I have that moment when I realize that things are ok. I have had some great Cinderella moments in my life. What, you may ask, is a Cinderella moment? Its a time in your life when you get to live your life exactly the way you want to. When everything falls into place and you get to live out one of your wildest dreams. Some people only get one or two of these moments in their lifetime and I've already have a few of them. Yes, they only last until midnight, but they give you something to dream about the rest of your life. There are days when I would love to go back, but then I think about what I get to do now. (Some days, it takes a few days for that to make me feel better!!;) I may not be exactly who I want to be or where I want to be, but I am with the people I want to be with. My location does not get to determine who I am, only I can do that.

I love that I get to start each spring with a fresh outlook on life and a renewed sense of wonder. I love myself more each spring and am more greatful for those around me. I still don't like Southern Alberta and I don't know that I ever will, but it is where I call home these days and I don't forsee it changing anytime soon. And I'm ok with that!

3 comments:

KellyLady said...

Can I get a big Amen or maybe a Hallejuah? I definitely get the winter blues thing and if it weren't for our families I think I'd give in to Cliff and move to California. Sigh. Oh, and thanks for the definition of Catharsis...I was thinking I was going to have dig up my dictionary. Sheesh...and I thought I knew a lot of fancy smancy words!

DeaVa said...

Well, I think we all know that if Cheryl had her way, Cheryl would be happily toasting in Arizona right now. I think perhaps that Southern Alberta is largely made up of those of us who would much rather be almost anywhere else -- Shocking, I know! Yes, you all know who you are. But, then the same dilema faces us all and keeps us here.... it's not the place, it's the people. Freinds yes, but mainly family.

Being a member of Tisha's illustrious family I know what our get togethers are like, and being one of the few members of the family who have FREQUENTLY been unable to attend the gatherings I also know how hard it is to be away. Now that we are back in the area I am so glad to have been able to make up for some lost time, help with Manda's wedding, and see how TJ's eyes light up when he sees Auntie Cheryl, (that makes it all worthwhile).

Though, if I had unlimited funds and could come and go at the drop of a hat, I can assure you that we would be basking in the sun with cacti as far as the eye can see.

At least there is some comfort that we are not alone here. And misery does love company, after all. (heheheh)

Anonymous said...

Tisha! How did you find my blog? We miss you on Friday too, although I didn't go today! Where is the easter egg hunt? I would love to bring the boys, and I'm sure they would love to come! Let me know!