Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Weight loss Wednesday No More

Ok, so you may have noticed that I'm not doing a very good job of keeping up on DIY Friday.  I'm getting stuff done, but really, how many pictures of painted cupboard doors can you post! ;)  Also, I'm trying hard not to focus on just the "weight loss" aspect of it, but more of the fitness.  So, Weight Loss Wednesday is going to be moving to Fitness Friday and Wednesday is now going to become Whatever Wednesday, giving me a day to write about whatever I feel like!

Judging from Lisha's comment on yesterday's post, I didn't post about James' job, so I will now!  In case you don't know, James has been studying corrections.  Mostly, this means a job as a corrections officer at a jail, but could also lead to a parole or probation officer job.  He did a couple of practicums and really enjoyed working in the jails, so thats where he decided to start off.  At some point, he may become a parole officer, but who knows!  Did you know there are both federal and provincial jails and that they have different hiring criteria?  Neither did I!  He  applied at quite a few places, most of which are provincially run.  He applied fedrally as well (actually, the Warden at one of the places he did his practicum requested he apply) but it takes an average of a year from when you apply to actually begin working fedrally. 

Provincially, you only have to interview at one place and then your interview is scored and the score is passed on to everywhere else.  They then deicde who is going to offer you a job (if anyone) and then your name goes on a list at the other places you applied to be contacted if they are hiring later.  Long story short, James got offered a job in Calgary. 

Here's something else you may not know.  Provincially, when you are hired, you are only hired on as casual/part time.  Meaning now set hours.  We're really torn because he could pick up way more shifts if we lived up there, but we also don't want to get stuck with a Calgary sized rent and bills and a month with little or no shifts.  There are a lot of other reasons that I'm not really keen on the idea of moving, but if we have to, at least Calgary is close.  In the meantime, we're praying, talking and headed to the temple.  Now I just have to make sure I'm ready for whatever answer comes!

1 comments:

Lisha said...

I see. I knew he'd applied for jobs but did t know where he got hired at. That's fantastic! I will be sad if you have to move though :(. Calgary is a lot closer than Edmonton but still farther than Ray-town! Fingers crossed for you