Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Weight Loss Wednesday: Balance


Last week, I got to go out with a bunch of ladies for deserts and, as often happens when many women gather together, the topic of conversation turned to weight loss.  As you might expect, between the table, we had tried pretty much everything imaginable.  Some of us (well, not me) have had more success than others and everyone had their own opinions on what worked and what didn't.  As I sat there and listened, one thing kept coming into my mind.  Balance.  Life is all about balance.  I think its important to eat right and exercise and (hopefully) get to and maintain a healthy weight.  However, it won't matter how skinny I get if I'm not enjoying my life while I'm skinny.  For me, good food is part of enjoying life.  I don't need to enjoy something rich and not good for you every day, but if I'm going out, I want to be able to enjoy myself without feeling guilty.  If all I do all day long is work out and I ignore my kids and husband, I may fit in to my dream jeans, but I'll be missing out on some of life's most important times.  As much as weight loss is important to me, if I can't eat the occasional cookie or binge on a yummy desert, than its not for me!  I've decided my goal isn't weight loss.  It's balance.  And if weight loss happens, then that's a happy side effect!

3 comments:

Maureen said...

I love this! I think you're thinking the same as me, changing your lifestyle. Eating healthy, but not cutting out sweets, just eating smaller amounts of sweets, that whole balance thing. I look at weight loss plans and so many of them are telling me "cut out breads, grains, etc"

Lisha said...

Huzzah!!! That's what I'm finding is workin for me this time around as well. If I want to have delicious pasta for supper than I will ... But maybe just less of it. And I can have my cake and eat it too ... Just maybe instead of the whole cake just a piece of it :). Keep up the positivity!

KellyLady said...

love the balance! You be awesome!